In wracking my brain for an idea I had a few weeks ago, I found myself considering numerous story starters. Here are some decent prompts that imposed themselves.
- A character or characters with evil natures stumble upon the aftermath of a battle and are forever changed.
- The shadows of a forest are coming to life. A villager disappears from the adjacent settlement, and the main character must solve the mystery.
- An elven or dwarven (or whatever) ambassador enters the throne room of an allied king to declare war in retaliation for the murder of his people’s crown prince. The King knows nothing of this killing, but his seneschal does.
- An ancient sword is recovered, but the weapon is alive and intelligent, and its only purpose is to destroy a certain paternal bloodline. When the sword chooses its final owner, the one who shall fulfill it’s purpose, that person is the target’s sister.
- Two schoolchildren awaken in a strange and magical land to find that a despised teacher is an evil overlord. How will they overthrow the insidious instructor?
- A master wizard has devised an entirely new system of magic, but doesn’t comprehend the real source of its power: beings from the beyond.
- When a witch is killed by frightened villagers, her gods or spirits exact a slow and subtle vengeance. Can the hero or heroine find a way to make amends and save the town?
- Awakened from a mystical stasis, the last survivor of an elder race must decide the fate of those who destroyed his people. Though immobile, the ancient has been aware since the time of his imprisonment.
- In a realm where an advanced species of orcs hunt humans for sport, one person has found a way to turn the tide. Will his people, who struggle to survive in the brutal wilderness bordering the orcish kingdom, have it in them to rise up against their oppressors.
- In the final battle between magic and science, a group of characters has discovered a way to end the conflict peacefully. Unfortunately, both sides are on to them and dedicated to victory at all costs.
Do drop a line in the comments box if you’d like to share a fantasy story prompt of your own!